Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Paradise?

Friday afternoon I walked out onto my patio deck while talking on my cell phone. I look up and at my lovely ferns and there it was… a snake! I screamed so loud I’m pretty sure that people around the neighborhood heard me! I ran into the house, shut the sliding glass door and made sure Lucy was in the house. I hate snakes! The only good snake is a dead snake in my opinion! This snake was curled up right by a finches bird nest.

I call out to Brad, but it probably sounded more like a scream or demand, for him to come get this snake out of our pergola. He walks into the kitchen looks out the door and has the biggest smile on his face. What is wrong with him? He looked like a kid in a candy store! Brad went to the basement and got out his fishing pole… Last I checked you didn’t fish for snakes. He rigs it up to have a loop at the end of the line that would constrict with pressure. He walks outside and gets the snakes head in the loop and pulls it tight. The snake then pulled its head backwards trying to pull the fishing pole to the other side of the pergola. (BTW a pergola is like a roof type structure seen on decks and gardens. I will show pictures) Brad pulls the snake back through and gives it a good yank to get it down.






Now before this happened I thought this snake was a 2 foot snake. Boy was I wrong. This devil snake ended up being 4 foot long! Not my idea of a “small” snake! Brad grabs the snake by the head because that is what all logical level headed people do when they see a snake. He asks me to go inside and get his plyers, the fishing line is too tight on the snakes neck and Brad can’t get it off. What a shame it would be if that snake died! HA! Let it die I say. Then Brad tells me it’s the circle of life and if we don’t save the snake those baby birds would have died in vain. That’s where my heart strings were tugged. Those poor baby birds! I hate that snake but Brad was right. He then sang to me the “circle of life” from the Lion King. My husband, the balance of the eco system keeper! He takes the snake and release it in to the woods next the creek which is still next to our house.








The next day I took Lucy for a walk and when we got home my neighbor Pat was outside. I told him about our situation. He asked what it looked like etc… That devil snake wandered into his yard and met his demise there. I looked at Brad and said “we are the superior species…it’s the circle of life completed!”

No comments:

Post a Comment